International Student Program
Thank you for your interest in our International Student Program! Below you will find some information and links to more detailed information about our program. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Terms start every six weeks.
- A full program for graduation is 3 terms of 18 hours per week or a total of 224 hours
- Curriculum includes 12 hours per week of general English classes and 6 hours per week of specialty classes.
- One-on-one academic counseling provided
- Small classes and personal attention
- Monthly student activities
International Program Admissions Requirements
The English Island has specific requirements for acceptance into the International Student Program. You will find the admissions requirements below. Please read over them carefully, and contact The English Island if you have any questions.
In order to enroll in our 18-hour-per-week international student program, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Students must be age 17 or older, preferably with a high school diploma for his/her country.
- Students must be literate in their own languages.
- Students must have the financial capability to undertake our program.
- Students who do not meet some of these qualifications (particularly the literacy qualifications) and live in-country may be enrolled in private lessons in order to work up to the level where he/she may apply for entrance to our program.
Placement ProcedureBefore entering class, you will take the BEST Plus speaking test to determine your levels. This speaking exam places you in one of the designated NRS Levels—Beginning Literacy, Low Beginning, High Beginning, Low Intermediate, High Intermediate, or Advanced. You are eligible for general courses and electives based on their placement scores. In some cases, you may take a written placement exam as well to ensure proper placement.
CurriculumAll of our classes align with the National Reporting Standards. The chart below gives a summary of our current classes and how they correspond to these standards.
|Beginning Literacy||Level 1A, 1B||BL Vocabulary I, BL Vocabulary II||Phonics I, Phonics II|
|Low Beginning||Level 2A, 2B||Conversation IA, Conversation IB||Grammar I,Grammar II|
|High Beginning||Level 3A, 3B||Conversation IIA, Conversation IIB||Grammar III,Grammar IV|
|Low Intermediate||Level 4A, 4B||Pronunciation I,Pronunciation II||Conversation III,Conversation IV||Grammar V,Grammar VI,||Business English I, Business English II|
|High Intermediate||Level 5A, 5B||Pronunciation III||Conversation III,Conversation IV||Grammar VIIGrammar VIII, Grammar IX||Business English III, Business English IV|
|Advanced||Grammar X||Business English V, Business English VI,Business English VII, Business English VIII|