1. What is the difference between the Form I-20 and F-1 visa?
    The Form I-20 is the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status; it certifies that a student is eligible for an F-1 visa. It is NOT the same as a visa. Students take the Form I-20 with them to the visa interview to obtain an F-1 visa which is necessary to enter the United States. The Form I-20 is part of a student's immigration documentation to be kept with them when traveling.
  2. What happens when my visa is approved? What am I supposed to do?
    Refer to the predeparture materials sent with the Acceptance Letter Email. There are detailed instructions there, but in brief, you must inform the PDSO/DSO of your visa approval. The Registrar will then send you information about your program start date, paying tuition, and English level placement tests.
  3. How many students do you have per class?
    Since 2021, our General Program group classes have had an average of about 9 students per class. Classes have a minimum of 2 students and maximum of 18.
  4. Can I take some classes in the mornings and others in the evenings during the same term?
    For our General Program group classes, you currently cannot. You must either take all morning group classes or all evening group classes during the 6-week term. This is because we offer 16 different class levels, and the class levels offered in the mornings and evenings are generally different. However, you are welcome to take private 1-on-1 or small group classes anytime (subject to teacher availability) in addition to our General Program group classes.
  5. How long do I need to study to become fluent in English or to speak better?
    To speak better, you should see results within the first few weeks of attending class. To become fluent (CEFR C1 level), it generally takes 3-9 months of full-time study for an intermediate level student (CEFR B1/B2) who progresses through our General Program or 12-18 months for a beginner level student (CEFR A1/A2).
  6. When is your “summer vacation”?
    The English Island holds classes all year round. Instead of a "summer vacation," students are allowed to take up to 3 months of vacation anytime during the year (during any 2 terms) after completing 7.5 months of study or 4.5 months of study for transfer students.