Commonly Confused Words Quiz
Test your understanding of commonly-confused words that we have covered in previous lessons with this short quiz. Pick the choice in parentheses that best completes the sentence. Answers can be found at the end of the quiz.
If you find yourself routinely confusing these kinds of tricky words, contact the English Island in Atlanta. Our experienced, passionate English teachers can give you the tools to sort through the seemingly-endless collection of commonly-confused English words.
- Make sure you use a security (envelop / envelope) to mail the check to the client.
- I can’t believe you ate the (hole / whole) cake on your birthday.
- The English (Aisle / Isle) offers ESL classes in Atlanta.
- Why are you still in your pajamas? You said you’d be (all ready / already) to leave by the time I arrived.
- We need to (altar / alter) the timetable for the project to allow for the holiday weekend.
- (A lot / allot) of your time will be spent contacting clients to make sure we are meeting their needs.
- The movie is fast-paced, funny, touching, and (altogether / all together) enjoyable.
- During our last camping trip, we spotted a brown (bare / bear) hunting for fish in the river.
- Julie’s rebellious teenage years included getting her nose pierced and (dyeing / dying) her hair bright purple.
- She wanted to wear the new dress to the party, but she could not find a pair of shoes that (complemented / complimented) it.
- I wish I had saved room for (desert / dessert). The tiramisu looks delicious.
- I won’t be able to make the reception on Saturday. Would you be willing to (accept / except) my award for me?
Answers and Explanations
- All ready
- A lot